In August 2016, Air Force Chief of Staff (CSAF) General David Goldfein, released his letter to Airmen titled, “The Beating Heart of the Air Force…Squadrons!” In turn, AFSVA was asked to establish an activity rich program that would equip empowered Squadron/Unit commanders with options to facilitate unit cohesion.
Unite Events must be inclusive to all Airmen in a Squadron. This includes Active Duty, Reserves, as well as APF and NAF civilians. Events cannot be divided based on rank, pay, grade, age, race, gender, religion. Family members and Contractors are welcome to participate, but they must pay any associated costs/fees.
The installation C3 can confirm your allocations and will make payments on your behalf.
RECREATION FUNDS (APF)
May be used on equipment rentals, program supplies and decorations*.
*Cannot exceed 10% of event cost.
CY21 Allocation – $13.50 pp
FOOD & BEVERAGE FUNDS (NAF)
Must be used in conjunction with a Unite event.
CY21 Allocation – $5 pp
• Unite is NOT a food & beverage program
• Events must be recreational and cohesive to utilize funding
• Unite funds CANNOT be combined with other NAFs or APFs
• Funds from non-Federal entities such as Booster Clubs may be used
• Lodging or transportation
• Equipment (rentals allowed)
• Prizes, giveaways or promo items
• Porta-Johns, trash services, damages or cleaning fees
• Holiday parties
• End of year events
• Balls or banquets
• Dining in/Dining outs
• Squadron trainings or meetings
• Base wide special events
• Movies, concerts, mystery theater, or amusement parks
Hosting a UNITE Event is Easy!
- Submit an Event Proposal and the Cost Breakdown Spreadsheet 21+ days out by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your C3 will make payments on your behalf. If your event requires supplies or groceries, schedule a time to shop with your C3.
- Host your event and have fun!
- Submit an After-Action Report within 7 days of your event to the C3
Types of Events
Ready to Execute (RTE)
RTE programs are pre-approved and easy to implement. They keep funds on the installation and should be considered first.
You have the freedom to design an event unique to your squadron on or off of the installation. Unit driven events require your Commander’s signature and approval from the AF Services Activity which may take up to 30 days.
Free & volunteer events are automatically approved. There is no limit to how many volunteer events a unit can host.
Equipment Rentals from ODR
Squadron Fun Days / Picnics
State Park Picnic with
Boating & Water Sports
All approved activities must have a physical activity involved. Entertainment such as movies and sporting events are no longer acceptable.
Q: What items are not approved for purchase?
A: Events Funds cannot be used to purchase equipment parking fees, gas, alcohol, or tobacco products. Food Funds cannot be used when the program or event has no recreational aspect. Therefore, all Unite Programs must have a recreational aspect, but it does not necessarily have to have a cost. This would include events like a basketball game, sports day, corn-hole tournament, scavenger hunt, or simple game (board or otherwise).
Q: Can I pay for just the breakfast, lunch, or dinner for my Airmen?
A: Yes, as long as the meal is paired with a team-building/recreational/resiliency event. No, if it is just the meal with nothing else incorporated into the plans.
Q: What are the funds based on?
A: Manning numbers pulled at the beginning of each calendar year.
Q: How long do we have to spend this money?
A: Funds are allocated on a calendar year. Funds must be used by 15 December of the calendar year.
Additional questions can be answered via the C3, please do not hesitate to ask!